From EatingWell: November/December 1994
Sweet oranges, colorful kiwi and fresh coconut are mixed with a touch of sugar and sherry to provide a simple, satisfying end to a special meal.
- 12 large oranges
- 4 kiwi, peeled, halved and sliced
- 6 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons Cointreau, or other orange liqueur
- 1/2 cup shredded or shaved fresh or dried unsweetened coconut, toasted (see box)
- Fresh mint sprigs for garnish
- Cut the peel and white pith from the oranges with a sharp paring knife. Set a sieve over a bowl; working over the bowl, cut out the orange sections from between the membranes, allowing the sections to fall into the sieve (discard seeds). Squeeze the membranes to extract any remaining juice. Measure out 1/2 cup of the juice that has collected in the bowl and set aside. (Reserve the remainder for another use.)
- Arrange one-third of the orange sections in the bottom of a clear bowl and sprinkle with 2 teaspoons sugar. Arrange half of the kiwi, then another third of the orange sections over top. Sprinkle with 2 teaspoons sugar. Top with the remaining orange sections and kiwi. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 teaspoons sugar.
- Combine sherry, orange liqueur and the reserved 1/2 cup orange juice in a small bowl. Pour over the fruit. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, garnish with toasted coconut and mint sprigs.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Per serving: 163 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 7 g fiber; 3 mg sodium; 520 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (243% daily value), Folate (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 fruit
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- November/December 1994
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)