From EatingWell: November/December 1994
Sweet oranges, colorful kiwi and fresh coconut are mixed with a touch of sugar and sherry to provide a simple, satisfying end to a special meal.
- 12 large oranges
- 4 kiwi, peeled, halved and sliced
- 6 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons Cointreau, or other orange liqueur
- 1/2 cup shredded or shaved fresh or dried unsweetened coconut, toasted (see box)
- Fresh mint sprigs for garnish
- Cut the peel and white pith from the oranges with a sharp paring knife. Set a sieve over a bowl; working over the bowl, cut out the orange sections from between the membranes, allowing the sections to fall into the sieve (discard seeds). Squeeze the membranes to extract any remaining juice. Measure out 1/2 cup of the juice that has collected in the bowl and set aside. (Reserve the remainder for another use.)
- Arrange one-third of the orange sections in the bottom of a clear bowl and sprinkle with 2 teaspoons sugar. Arrange half of the kiwi, then another third of the orange sections over top. Sprinkle with 2 teaspoons sugar. Top with the remaining orange sections and kiwi. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 teaspoons sugar.
- Combine sherry, orange liqueur and the reserved 1/2 cup orange juice in a small bowl. Pour over the fruit. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, garnish with toasted coconut and mint sprigs.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Per serving: 163 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 7 g fiber; 3 mg sodium; 520 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (243% daily value), Folate (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 fruit
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 1994