Amaranth Pudding with Amaretto Cream
From EatingWell: November/December 2012
Amaranth grains, which are as tiny as poppy seeds, make this comforting, amaretto-spiked pudding creamy and delicious.
- 3-3 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups amaranth (see Tips)
- 1 3-inch cinnamon stick
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
- 3/4 cup nonfat milk
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 2 tablespoons amaretto liqueur
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Amaretto Cream & Topping
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
- 2 teaspoons amaretto liqueur, plus more for drizzle
- 16 amaretti cookies, divided
- To prepare pudding: Combine 3 cups water, amaranth and cinnamon stick in a large heavy pan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened and the amaranth is tender and translucent, 18 to 20 minutes. Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup more water if the amaranth starts to stick to the bottom of the pan. Discard the cinnamon stick.
- Stir in half-and-half, milk, turbinado sugar, 2 tablespoons amaretto, vanilla and salt; return to a simmer, stirring continuously. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle bubble and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture resembles a thick porridge, 3 to 5 minutes more. Reduce heat further, if necessary, to prevent the pudding from sticking to the pan. (Use caution as you stir: the mixture can splatter as it bubbles.) Divide the pudding among 8 small serving dishes (about 2/3 cup each). Let cool at room temperature for 1 hour. Then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour.
- To prepare amaretto cream & topping: When you’re ready to serve, whip cream, confectioners’ sugar and 2 teaspoons amaretto in a medium bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until soft peaks form. Crush 8 cookies with your fingers to get coarse crumbs. Top each pudding with about 1 tablespoon of the whipped cream and 1 tablespoon cookie crumbs. Garnish each bowl with 1 whole cookie and a little drizzle of amaretto, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare pudding (Steps 1 & 2) up to 2 days ahead.
- Tips: Amaranth, rich in protein and minerals, such as calcium and magnesium, has been cultivated in Central America for an estimated 5,000 to 8,000 years. When cooked, it has a thick, porridge-like texture—great in soups, stews, breakfast porridge or puddings. Find it in the natural-foods section of well-stocked supermarkets or in natural-foods stores.
- To Make It Gluten-Free: Most Italian amaretti cookies are made without ingredients that contain gluten, but not all brands are made in a gluten-free facility. If you are gluten-sensitive, use almond flavored gluten-free cookies for the topping instead.
Per serving: 337 calories; 12 g fat (6 g sat, 3 g mono); 29 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 21 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 106 mg sodium; 263 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (25% daily value), Iron (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2012