Amaranth Pudding with Amaretto Cream
From EatingWell: November/December 2012
Amaranth grains, which are as tiny as poppy seeds, make this comforting, amaretto-spiked pudding creamy and delicious.
- 3-3 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups amaranth (see Tips)
- 1 3-inch cinnamon stick
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
- 3/4 cup nonfat milk
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 2 tablespoons amaretto liqueur
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Amaretto Cream & Topping
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
- 2 teaspoons amaretto liqueur, plus more for drizzle
- 16 amaretti cookies, divided
- To prepare pudding: Combine 3 cups water, amaranth and cinnamon stick in a large heavy pan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened and the amaranth is tender and translucent, 18 to 20 minutes. Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup more water if the amaranth starts to stick to the bottom of the pan. Discard the cinnamon stick.
- Stir in half-and-half, milk, turbinado sugar, 2 tablespoons amaretto, vanilla and salt; return to a simmer, stirring continuously. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle bubble and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture resembles a thick porridge, 3 to 5 minutes more. Reduce heat further, if necessary, to prevent the pudding from sticking to the pan. (Use caution as you stir: the mixture can splatter as it bubbles.) Divide the pudding among 8 small serving dishes (about 2/3 cup each). Let cool at room temperature for 1 hour. Then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour.
- To prepare amaretto cream & topping: When you’re ready to serve, whip cream, confectioners’ sugar and 2 teaspoons amaretto in a medium bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until soft peaks form. Crush 8 cookies with your fingers to get coarse crumbs. Top each pudding with about 1 tablespoon of the whipped cream and 1 tablespoon cookie crumbs. Garnish each bowl with 1 whole cookie and a little drizzle of amaretto, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare pudding (Steps 1 & 2) up to 2 days ahead.
- Tips: Amaranth, rich in protein and minerals, such as calcium and magnesium, has been cultivated in Central America for an estimated 5,000 to 8,000 years. When cooked, it has a thick, porridge-like texture—great in soups, stews, breakfast porridge or puddings. Find it in the natural-foods section of well-stocked supermarkets or in natural-foods stores.
- To Make It Gluten-Free: Most Italian amaretti cookies are made without ingredients that contain gluten, but not all brands are made in a gluten-free facility. If you are gluten-sensitive, use almond flavored gluten-free cookies for the topping instead.
Per serving: 337 calories; 12 g fat (6 g sat, 3 g mono); 29 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 21 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 106 mg sodium; 263 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (25% daily value), Iron (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Making a satisfying, low-calorie dinner is easy with our one-...
It’s easy to make a healthy dinner recipe without dirtying...
Grab a box of your favorite whole-wheat linguine or penne...
Good news for people who eat breakfast—they tend to weigh...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
Cutlets—typically a thin slice of meat cut from the rib...
Whether you’re watching your finances or just trying to put a...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
There is no room for a roast that's anything less than...
Chocolate is such a rich and indulgent treat it almost seems...
Creamy blue cheese isn’t just for salads and dressing anymore...
Chopped, layered, pulsed or stirred, these easy dips are...
Ginger pairs well with soy sauce, chile peppers and garlic,...
Our healthy pumpkin dessert recipes are lighter twists on the...
A popular meat around the globe, lamb is raised and consumed...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- November/December 2012