Alpine Mushroom Pasta
From EatingWell: March/April 2009
In northern Italy, the influences of neighboring Austria and Switzerland are apparent in dishes like this pasta featuring Savoy cabbage and mushrooms in a light wine sauce. Serve with Caesar salad and bread sticks.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat fettuccine
- 6 cups shredded Savoy cabbage, (about 1 small head)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 medium portobello mushroom caps, gills removed, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup diced smoked cheese, such as smoked mozzarella, Cheddar or gouda
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage, or 3/4 teaspoon dried
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta for 4 minutes. Add cabbage and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the pasta and cabbage are tender, about 4 minutes more. Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid and drain the pasta and cabbage.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms are tender and beginning to release their liquid, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk wine and flour in a small bowl. Add to the pan along with salt and pepper; cook, stirring, until the mixture thickens, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes and cook until just beginning to break down, about 1 minute more.
- Return the pasta and cabbage to the pot. Add the mushroom sauce, the reserved cooking liquid, cheese and sage; gently toss to combine.
Per serving: 278 calories; 7 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 8 g fiber; 536 mg sodium; 633 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Calcium & Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2009