Alpine Mushroom Pasta
From EatingWell: March/April 2009
In northern Italy, the influences of neighboring Austria and Switzerland are apparent in dishes like this pasta featuring Savoy cabbage and mushrooms in a light wine sauce. Serve with Caesar salad and bread sticks.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat fettuccine
- 6 cups shredded Savoy cabbage, (about 1 small head)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 medium portobello mushroom caps, gills removed, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup diced smoked cheese, such as smoked mozzarella, Cheddar or gouda
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage, or 3/4 teaspoon dried
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta for 4 minutes. Add cabbage and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the pasta and cabbage are tender, about 4 minutes more. Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid and drain the pasta and cabbage.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms are tender and beginning to release their liquid, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk wine and flour in a small bowl. Add to the pan along with salt and pepper; cook, stirring, until the mixture thickens, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes and cook until just beginning to break down, about 1 minute more.
- Return the pasta and cabbage to the pot. Add the mushroom sauce, the reserved cooking liquid, cheese and sage; gently toss to combine.
Per serving: 278 calories; 7 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 8 g fiber; 536 mg sodium; 633 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Calcium & Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2009