Almond Meringue Baskets with Lime Curd & Berries
From EatingWell: March/April 1999
Impressive meringue “baskets” filled with lime curd and fresh berries and garnished with raspberry sauce makes a stunning finish to any spring dinner.
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- Lime Curd, (recipe follows)
- 3 cups mixed fresh berries, such as raspberries, blackberries and blueberries
- Mint sprigs, for garnish
- Raspberry Sauce, (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread almonds in a pie pan and toast, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, 5 to 8 minutes. Finely chop and set aside. Reduce oven temperature to 220°.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Place egg whites in a large bowl. Place bowl in a larger bowl of hot water and stir until whites are lukewarm. Remove from water and add cream of tartar and salt. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 2/3 cup sugar. Add vanilla and almond extracts and beat until meringue is glossy and stiff, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a rubber spatula, fold in reserved almonds and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Spoon meringue into a large pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch plain or open-star tip. Pipe eight 3-inch round disks onto the prepared baking sheet, then pipe a two-layer rim around the edge of each disk. (Alternatively, drop 8 mounds of meringue, evenly spaced onto the prepared baking sheet. With the back of a spoon, form the meringue into 8 nests about 3 inches in diameter.)
- Bake meringues for about 2 hours, or until crisp and firm. Remove meringues from baking sheet while still warm and cool on a wire rack.
- To serve, place meringues on dessert plates and fill with Lime Curd. Top with berries and garnish with mint. Surround with Raspberry Sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 5. The meringues will keep in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- To pipe perfect baskets, first use a 3-inch round cookie cutter or glass to draw circles on the parchment paper, then turn it over. The lines will show through.
Per serving: 230 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 30 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 5 g fiber; 81 mg sodium; 255 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (54% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- March/April 1999
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)