From EatingWell: September/October 2014
The Italian name of these almond cookies, Brutti-Buoni, roughly translates to “ugly but good.” These delicious cookies are traditionally dropped directly on a cookie sheet, but shaping them as directed here gives a more elegant look. Enjoy them for dessert with an espresso.
- 2 cups whole almonds
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place almonds and pine nuts in a small baking pan and bake until fragrant, about 8 minutes. Let cool for about 5 minutes, then transfer to a food processor. Add sugar and process until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Transfer to a bowl and add egg whites, flour and salt. Stir until well combined.
- With damp hands, roll the dough into balls about the size of a walnut (about 1 tablespoon) and place on the prepared baking sheet at least 1 inch apart. Press the top of each ball to flatten slightly, then pinch one side of the cookie so it has a cone-like shape.
- Bake one baking sheet at a time until the cookies are barely colored on the bottom, 12 to 14 minutes. The centers will still be moist. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store airtight between layers of parchment paper for up to 4 days.
Per serving: 99 calories; 6 g fat (0 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 5 g added sugars; 6 g total sugars; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 15 mg sodium; 86 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, bars & cookies
- September/October 2014