African Peanut Soup
From EatingWell: May/June 1998
This earthy soup is traditionally served during Kwanzaa celebrations in the United States. Pantry items make it a snap to whip up on any night.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 10-ounce can condensed tomato soup
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth, or 1 3/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan and sauté onion until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in curry powder and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Add condensed tomato soup and broth or water. Bring to a simmer. Whisk in peanut butter and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
Per serving: 138 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 412 mg sodium; 214 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1998