African Peanut Soup
From EatingWell: May/June 1998
This earthy soup is traditionally served during Kwanzaa celebrations in the United States. Pantry items make it a snap to whip up on any night.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 10-ounce can condensed tomato soup
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth, or 1 3/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan and sauté onion until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in curry powder and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Add condensed tomato soup and broth or water. Bring to a simmer. Whisk in peanut butter and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
Per serving: 138 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 412 mg sodium; 214 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- May/June 1998
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)