African Peanut Soup
From EatingWell: May/June 1998
This earthy soup is traditionally served during Kwanzaa celebrations in the United States. Pantry items make it a snap to whip up on any night.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 10-ounce can condensed tomato soup
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth, or 1 3/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan and sauté onion until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in curry powder and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Add condensed tomato soup and broth or water. Bring to a simmer. Whisk in peanut butter and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
Per serving: 138 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 412 mg sodium; 214 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1998