African Peanut Soup
From EatingWell: May/June 1998
This earthy soup is traditionally served during Kwanzaa celebrations in the United States. Pantry items make it a snap to whip up on any night.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 10-ounce can condensed tomato soup
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth, or 1 3/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan and sauté onion until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in curry powder and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Add condensed tomato soup and broth or water. Bring to a simmer. Whisk in peanut butter and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
Per serving: 138 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 412 mg sodium; 214 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1998