From EatingWell: May/June 2010
Try this spicy Mexican rub on grilled chicken, steak or tofu.
- 4 teaspoons chili powder, preferably made with New Mexico or ancho chiles (see Note)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Combine chili powder, lime juice, oil, cumin, onion powder, garlic power, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Note: Mildly spicy dried chiles, such as ancho or New Mexico, add moderate heat and rich flavor to Mexican sauces like mole. Chili powder made from these chiles has more flavor than American-style blends. Look for it in the specialty-spice section of large supermarkets or online at penzeys.com.
Per tablespoon: 81 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 610 mg sodium; 74 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Cinco de Mayo
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, marinade/rub
- May/June 2010