Roasted Acorn Squash with Cider Drizzle
From EatingWell: November/December 2009
Roasting squash in the oven caramelizes its natural sugars. Here we serve acorn squash with a cider reduction that’s spiced with cinnamon and cloves. A touch of butter gives it a luxurious finish.
- 1 medium acorn squash (about 1 3/4 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 1 3-inch cinnamon stick
- 3-5 whole cloves
- 2 teaspoons butter
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Cut each half in half again lengthwise. Brush the cut sides of the squash with oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the squash, cut-side down, on the prepared baking sheet. Roast for 20 minutes, turn the squash over so the opposite cut side is down, and continue roasting until tender, 15 to 20 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, combine cider, brown sugar, cinnamon stick and cloves to taste in a small saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced to a thin, syrupy glaze, 20 to 25 minutes. (Watch carefully toward the end to prevent burning.) Remove from the heat and discard the cinnamon stick and cloves. Stir in butter until melted. Serve the roasted squash with the cider drizzle.
Per serving: 209 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 47 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 9 g fiber; 154 mg sodium; 847 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Potassium (24% dv), Vitamin A (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fruit, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2009