A Gilding of Shrimp & Saffron Rice
From EatingWell: August/September 2006
Golden saffron and a bounty of herbs and summer vegetables make this a beautiful and fresh-tasting dish. Don't overseason; let the flavors sing.
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon saffron threads, (see Ingredient Note)
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 medium yellow summer squash, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 pound raw shrimp, (21-25 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 1/3 cup tightly packed fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bring water, 1/2 teaspoon salt and saffron to taste to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add rice, return to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, 40 to 45 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- About 10 minutes before the rice is done, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add squash and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender (do not brown), 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in shrimp and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Stir in mint and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in lemon juice; remove from heat. Season with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Serve over the rice.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Saffron, the world's most expensive spice, is the dried stigma of a crocus and contributes a pungent flavor and intense yellow color to food. It is sold in threads and powdered form.
Per serving: 350 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 168 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 5 g fiber; 790 mg sodium; 654 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Magnesium (32% dv), Potassium (19% dv), Folate & Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- August/September 2006