A Gilding of Shrimp & Saffron Rice
From EatingWell: August/September 2006
Golden saffron and a bounty of herbs and summer vegetables make this a beautiful and fresh-tasting dish. Don't overseason; let the flavors sing.
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon saffron threads, (see Ingredient Note)
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 medium yellow summer squash, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 pound raw shrimp, (21-25 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 1/3 cup tightly packed fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bring water, 1/2 teaspoon salt and saffron to taste to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add rice, return to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, 40 to 45 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- About 10 minutes before the rice is done, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add squash and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender (do not brown), 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in shrimp and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Stir in mint and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in lemon juice; remove from heat. Season with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Serve over the rice.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Saffron, the world's most expensive spice, is the dried stigma of a crocus and contributes a pungent flavor and intense yellow color to food. It is sold in threads and powdered form.
Per serving: 350 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 168 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 5 g fiber; 790 mg sodium; 654 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Magnesium (32% dv), Potassium (19% dv), Folate & Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- August/September 2006