Grilled Thai Chicken Sandwich
From EatingWell: September/October 2012
Juicy grilled chicken, onions and peppers combine with a Thai-inspired sauce in this chicken sandwich recipe. We love how the flatbreads made from whole-wheat dough sop up the extra sauce. If you have one large (12-ounce) chicken breast instead of two smaller (6-ounce) ones, cut it in half horizontally before grilling so the chicken cooks in the time specified in this recipe.
- 1/2 cup “lite” coconut milk
- 1/4 cup smooth natural peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chile-garlic sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 pound prepared pizza dough, preferably whole-wheat
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 2 6-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large red bell pepper, quartered
- 1 large onion, sliced into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Whisk coconut milk, peanut butter, lime juice, 1 tablespoon chile-garlic sauce and soy sauce in a bowl until well combined.
- Working on a lightly floured surface, divide dough into 5 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 6-inch disk with a rolling pin or press into a disk with your hands. Using 1 1/2 teaspoons oil, brush one side of each disk.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tip); place the dough, oiled-side down, on the grill and cook until light brown and puffed, 1 to 2 minutes. Brush the dough with the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil, flip and grill until cooked through, but still a little soft, 1 to 2 minutes more. Wrap in foil to keep warm.
- Brush chicken with the remaining 1 tablespoon chile-garlic sauce. Place the chicken, bell pepper and onion on the grill. Grill the chicken, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165°F, 10 to 14 minutes. Grill the pepper and onion, turning once, until lightly charred and cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Slice the pepper and onion. Toss with 1/2 cup of the reserved dressing in a medium bowl. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, slice or shred into bite-size pieces. Top flatbreads with equal portions of the vegetables and chicken; drizzle with the remaining dressing and sprinkle with cilantro. Fold to eat.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Oiling a grill rack before you grill foods helps ensure that the food won’t stick. Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to coat the food with cooking spray.
Per serving: 410 calories; 17 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 38 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 4 g fiber; 447 mg sodium; 358 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (80% daily value), Vitamin A (22% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 lean meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- September/October 2012
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)