Greek Pasta Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2012
This quick, healthy Greek pasta salad recipe is tossed with all the elements of a Greek salad—plus chickpeas for added protein. This pasta salad holds well in the refrigerator or a cooler and tastes even better as the pasta absorbs the tomato-infused vinaigrette. Serve with pita chips.
- 2 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 8 ounces whole-wheat farfalle or similar-size pasta
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3 cup quartered pitted Kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried
- Put a large pot of water on to boil.
- Combine tomatoes, garlic, oil and vinegar in a large bowl; let stand while you cook the pasta.
- Cook pasta in the boiling water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water. Drain again.
- Add the pasta to the tomato mixture along with chickpeas, cucumber, feta, olives and oregano; gently toss to combine.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 480 calories; 19 g fat (5 g sat, 11 g mono); 17 mg cholesterol; 65 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 9 g fiber; 535 mg sodium; 447 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Magnesium (22% dv), Folate (21% dv), Zinc (20% dv), Iron (18% dv), Calcium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- July/August 2012