Greek Pasta Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2012
This quick, healthy Greek pasta salad recipe is tossed with all the elements of a Greek salad—plus chickpeas for added protein. This pasta salad holds well in the refrigerator or a cooler and tastes even better as the pasta absorbs the tomato-infused vinaigrette. Serve with pita chips.
- 2 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 8 ounces whole-wheat farfalle or similar-size pasta
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3 cup quartered pitted Kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried
- Put a large pot of water on to boil.
- Combine tomatoes, garlic, oil and vinegar in a large bowl; let stand while you cook the pasta.
- Cook pasta in the boiling water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water. Drain again.
- Add the pasta to the tomato mixture along with chickpeas, cucumber, feta, olives and oregano; gently toss to combine.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 480 calories; 19 g fat (5 g sat, 11 g mono); 17 mg cholesterol; 65 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 9 g fiber; 535 mg sodium; 447 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Magnesium (22% dv), Folate (21% dv), Zinc (20% dv), Iron (18% dv), Calcium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- July/August 2012