From EatingWell: March/April 2012
Cincinnati has a unique spin on chili—they serve it over spaghetti. Typically the chili is just made with meat, no beans, but we couldn’t resist adding beans to add fiber and nutrients. Serve with sliced cucumber and red onion with lemon juice and olive oil.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound lean (90% or leaner) ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef, onion, chili powder and cinnamon. Cook, stirring and breaking up lumps with a spoon, until the onion is beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a lively simmer and cook, stirring frequently, until the sauce is thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Stir beans and all but 2 tablespoons cilantro into the sauce. Cook, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute more. Serve the chili over the pasta. Garnish with the remaining cilantro.
Per serving: 548 calories; 14 g fat (4 g sat, 7 g mono); 72 mg cholesterol; 71 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 38 g protein; 17 g fiber; 696 mg sodium; 1117 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (52% daily value), Iron (43% dv), Vitamin A (42% dv), Magnesium (39% dv), Potassium (32% dv), Folate (27% dv), Vitamin C (22% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 4 starch, 2 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Super Bowl
- March/April 2012