From EatingWell: March/April 2012
Cincinnati has a unique spin on chili—they serve it over spaghetti. Typically the chili is just made with meat, no beans, but we couldn’t resist adding beans to add fiber and nutrients. Serve with sliced cucumber and red onion with lemon juice and olive oil.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound lean (90% or leaner) ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef, onion, chili powder and cinnamon. Cook, stirring and breaking up lumps with a spoon, until the onion is beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a lively simmer and cook, stirring frequently, until the sauce is thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Stir beans and all but 2 tablespoons cilantro into the sauce. Cook, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute more. Serve the chili over the pasta. Garnish with the remaining cilantro.
Per serving: 548 calories; 14 g fat (4 g sat, 7 g mono); 72 mg cholesterol; 71 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 38 g protein; 17 g fiber; 696 mg sodium; 1117 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (52% daily value), Iron (43% dv), Vitamin A (42% dv), Magnesium (39% dv), Potassium (32% dv), Folate (27% dv), Vitamin C (22% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 4 starch, 2 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Super Bowl
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2012