From EatingWell: March/April 2012
Cincinnati has a unique spin on chili—they serve it over spaghetti. Typically the chili is just made with meat, no beans, but we couldn’t resist adding beans to add fiber and nutrients. Serve with sliced cucumber and red onion with lemon juice and olive oil.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound lean (90% or leaner) ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef, onion, chili powder and cinnamon. Cook, stirring and breaking up lumps with a spoon, until the onion is beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a lively simmer and cook, stirring frequently, until the sauce is thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Stir beans and all but 2 tablespoons cilantro into the sauce. Cook, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute more. Serve the chili over the pasta. Garnish with the remaining cilantro.
Per serving: 548 calories; 14 g fat (4 g sat, 7 g mono); 72 mg cholesterol; 71 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 38 g protein; 17 g fiber; 696 mg sodium; 1117 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (52% daily value), Iron (43% dv), Vitamin A (42% dv), Magnesium (39% dv), Potassium (32% dv), Folate (27% dv), Vitamin C (22% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 4 starch, 2 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Super Bowl
- March/April 2012