From EatingWell: March/April 2012
Cincinnati has a unique spin on chili—they serve it over spaghetti. Typically the chili is just made with meat, no beans, but we couldn’t resist adding beans to add fiber and nutrients. Serve with sliced cucumber and red onion with lemon juice and olive oil.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound lean (90% or leaner) ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef, onion, chili powder and cinnamon. Cook, stirring and breaking up lumps with a spoon, until the onion is beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a lively simmer and cook, stirring frequently, until the sauce is thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Stir beans and all but 2 tablespoons cilantro into the sauce. Cook, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute more. Serve the chili over the pasta. Garnish with the remaining cilantro.
Per serving: 548 calories; 14 g fat (4 g sat, 7 g mono); 72 mg cholesterol; 71 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 38 g protein; 17 g fiber; 696 mg sodium; 1117 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (52% daily value), Iron (43% dv), Vitamin A (42% dv), Magnesium (39% dv), Potassium (32% dv), Folate (27% dv), Vitamin C (22% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 4 starch, 2 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Super Bowl
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- March/April 2012