Bobby Flay’s Honey-Rum Baked Black Beans
From EatingWell: May/June 2011
Chef Bobby Flay cooked these baked black beans, spiked with chorizo and rum, on one of his television shows, Throwdown! with Bobby Flay, to compete with a more-traditional batch of Carolina baked beans. We adore the results. If you bring them along to a summer party, reheat before serving or bring them in a crock-pot and plug it in when you get to the party. Recipe adapted from Bobby Flay’s Throwdown! by Bobby Flay with Stephanie Banyas and Miriam Garron (Clarkson Potter, 2010).
- 1 pound dried black beans (about 2 3/4 cups), picked over and soaked in cold water for 8 hours (or see Tip)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 ounces dried chorizo (see Note), cut into small dice (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium Spanish onion, cut into small dice
- 1 medium carrot, cut into small dice
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup dark rum
- 2 cups homemade chicken stock or canned reduced-sodium chicken broth, plus more if needed
- 1 cup Mesa Grill Barbecue Sauce or your favorite barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves, divided
- 1/4 cup clover honey
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or more taste
- Drain beans. Place in a large saucepan and add cold water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, partially cover the pot and simmer until very tender, 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Preheat oven to 325ºF.
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan over high heat. Add chorizo and cook, stirring, until golden brown and crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Reduce heat to medium, add onion and carrot to the pan and cook, stirring, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add rum, bring to a simmer and cook until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Add this mixture to the beans.
- Add 2 cups stock (or broth), barbecue sauce, 1/4 cup cilantro, honey, molasses, brown sugar and the reserved chorizo to the beans. Mix gently to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the mixture to a large baking dish and cover. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Check to see if the bean mixture is dry; if it is, add a little more stock (or broth). Bake for 30 minutes more. Uncover and bake 15 minutes more to thicken slightly.
- Garnish the beans with the remaining 2 tablespoons cilantro. Let sit for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Tip: To soak beans using a “quick-soak” method, place in a large saucepan with enough cold water to cover them by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Note: Dried, Spanish-style chorizo is a seasoned, fully cooked, smoked pork sausage. Find it near other cured sausages in well-stocked super markets or online at tienda.com.
Per serving: 261 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 12 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 6 g fiber; 418 mg sodium; 443 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (26% daily value), Magnesium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 carbohydrate (other), 1 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- May/June 2011