Chai-Spiced Apple Pie
To make ahead: Refrigerate crust (Step 1) for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months; thaw in the refrigerator for 24 hours before using. Keep pie at room temperature for up to 1 day.
Equipment: 9-inch pie pan (not deep-dish)
Tips: Not all pie crusts are created equal. Here are the tricks our expert pie makers swear by. First, use ice-cold water (not just cold tap water). Second, measure the flour using the "spoon and level" method. Scoop flour from its container with a spoon into a measuring cup. Use a knife or other straight edge to level the flour with the top of the cup. Finally, don't overwork the dough. You want to knead until it just comes together. Then refrigerate for at least an hour before rolling out.
How to make a lattice pie crust:
1. Cut the dough into twelve 1-inch strips using a sharp knife or pizza cutter. Lift off every other strip.
2. Place the strips next to each other on top of the pie, leaving about a 1-inch gap between strips.
3. Fold back the first, third and fifth strips of dough all the way to the edge of the pie. Place a shorter strip of dough across the unfolded strips, about 1 inch from the edge. Unfold the folded strips overthe crosswise strip.
4. Fold back the second and fourth strips of dough all the way to the crosswise strip. Place a strip of dough across the unfolded strips. Unfold the folded strips over the crosswise strip. Repeat until the top is covered.
5. Trim crust so it evenly overhangs the edge of the pan by about 1 inch. Tuck the overhang under and press to seal the two crusts together. Crimp the edge with a fork or flute it between your thumb and the side of your index finger.
1 starch, 1 fruit, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 2 1/2 fat