By: EatingWell User
Here's how to make this recipe work
1) Braise the pork first. Toss with salt/pepper, brown in olive oil, then add 2 cups of water and all the dry spices (actually, triple the spice proportions...it's not nearly enough). Transfer to oven at 375 and bake 1.5-2 hrs.
2) Increase bulgur to 1.5c dry. Also, since it's not apparent in the recipe, hydrate it first by pouring in boiling water, letting sit until soft (~30mins), and then draining excess water.
3) Optional - instead of chick peas, I suggest cauliflower. Break it up, toss in oil and salt, roast for about an hour at 375 until brown and soft, and then chop into bite size pieces.
4) Optional - instead of raisins, which are quite sweet, sub in about 20 dried apricots, chopped.
5) Combine braised pork, hydrated bulgur, roast cauliflower, apricots, chopped onion, juice of 1 lemon, and a cup of water in a baking dish, cover and bake at 375 for 40 mins or until water is absorbed. (Omit lemon zest...it's great but just wrong here. Roast pepper ok but not necessary). Toss in mint and additional lemon juice/salt to taste. Serve.
Pros: Basic concept is right
Cons: Proportions & prep instruction are off