By: EatingWell User
Delicious oatmeal with some changes
Thank you for the recipe! I am not good at coming up recipes on my own, but I love good base recipes that I can tweak and this was an excellent one to try. Here are the changes that I made:
1. If you use a very sweet apple, then there is no need for any added sugar. We love pink lady and honey crisp but found the oatmeal needed the sugar when we used those apples. This last time, we used Fuji and did not need the added sugar.
2. I increased the cinnamon to 2 tsp, added 1 tsp nutmeg, and 2 tsp vanilla (you can add one but we LOVE vanilla).
3. No need for any yogurt. It was thick and creamy all on it's own.
4. I cut my apples small instead of leaving them in chunks. Cooks the apple down better and evenly. If you like your apples fairly crisp, then you can cut them in big chunks. In the beginning, I was dicing the apples by hand very small. This last time, I used the food processor and chopped them up until they were all pretty small.
5. I cooked the recipe with initial ingredients as stated for 10 minutes, added the remaining ingredients and cooked for 25 minutes more for the consistency we like.
Pros: Very easy to make
Cons: Start early!! It takes an hour to prep and cook!