When I get a snack attack—watch out. Anything is fair game when I get ravenous and usually I reach for no-fuss (unhealthy) convenience foods to satisfy my cravings, like cookies, chocolate and high-calorie crackers. But what I really need to eat to fuel my hungry body is a healthy snack . All the better if it includes fruit or vegetables.
So I try to plan ahead and some ideas that are as appealing as junk food help too. Here are 5 of my favorite quick snack recipes (under 100 calories each) to satisfy your next hunger attack.
1. Cheesy Popcorn (75 calories per serving) Freshly grated Parmesan cheese and a sprinkle of cayenne pepper dress up air-popped popcorn. See how to make it.
2. “Cocoa-Nut” Bananas (80 calories per serving) Cocoa- and coconut-crusted bananas are a treat for the whole family.
3. Feta & Herb Dip with Crudites (32 calories per serving for dip) Lots of freshly chopped herbs add zing to our white bean dip. Serve with assorted vegetables, such as baby carrots, bell pepper strips, radishes, snow peas, broccoli and caulifower florets.
4. Ham & Pepper Roll-Ups (100 calories per serving) This snack is perfect for the kids, too—try turkey instead of ham if you prefer.
5. Sesame Carrots (33 calories per serving) Toasted sesame seeds add taste and eye appeal to a cheery plate of carrots.
What are your favorite skinny snacks? Tell us what you think below.
Michelle Edelbaum , Diet Blog
Michelle is the digital editor for EatingWell Media Group. She puts her background in journalism to work online at EatingWell.com and in EatingWell Magazine, authoring the Good Questions interview with interesting people in the world of food and health.
Tell us what you think: