SPECIAL OFFER - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
Vermicelli with Tomatoes, Olives & Capers (Vermicelli alla puttanesca)
Chopped fresh tomatoes are the base of this raw pasta sauce, flavored with briny olives, rich anchovies and fresh parsley.
Active Time: 30 minutes |
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 pound whole-wheat vermicelli, or spaghettini
- 4 large, vine-ripened tomatoes, cored and coarsely chopped, or one 28-ounce can plum tomatoes, drained and roughly chopped (3 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 16 large black olives, (packed in brine), pitted and chopped
- 3 tablespoons drained capers, minced
- 4 anchovy fillets, rinsed and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano, or Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, combine tomatoes, parsley, olives, capers, anchovies, oil, garlic and pepper in serving bowl.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain it and add to the bowl with the sauce. Toss well to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings. Sprinkle with cheese and serve immediately.
Per serving :
9 g Fat;
2 g Sat;
4 g Mono;
6 mg Cholesterol;
63 g Carbohydrates;
14 g Protein;
11 g Fiber;
346 mg Sodium;
472 mg Potassium
3 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat