The flavors of picadillo—a dish found all over Latin America—turn meatloaf into something more than the usual. Make it a meal: Accompany with cornbread and hot green beans splashed with vinegar.
Active Time: 20 minutes |
Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 8 ounces lean ground beef, preferably ground round
- 8 ounces ground turkey breast
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup pimiento-stuffed olives, chopped
- 1/4 cup raisins, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup medium-hot taco sauce, divided
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
- Spread oats in a shallow pan and bake until lightly toasted, 4 to 7 minutes. Let cool.
- Combine the toasted oats, ground beef, ground turkey, onion, bell pepper, garlic, egg, olives, raisins, salt, coriander, cinnamon, pepper and 1/4 cup taco sauce in a large mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan. With dampened hands, form into a 7-by-4-inch loaf. Drizzle with remaining 3/4 cup taco sauce.
- Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted in center of loaf registers 165°F, 45 to 55 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter.
Per serving :
4 g Fat;
1 g Sat;
1 g Mono;
70 mg Cholesterol;
15 g Carbohydrates;
20 g Protein;
2 g Fiber;
661 mg Sodium;
137 mg Potassium
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 lean meat