The EatingWell Diabetes Cookbook (2005)
Prepared marinara sauce, mushrooms and basil turns the usual meatloaf into something special.
Active Time: 20 minutes |
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup seasoned (Italian-style) breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup prepared marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 12-inch pizza pan with cooking spray and place it on a large baking sheet with sides.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, mushrooms and basil; cook, stirring, until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine beef, garlic, breadcrumbs, milk and salt in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Transfer the meat mixture to the prepared pan. With dampened hands, pat into a 10-inch circle. Top with marinara sauce. Spoon the vegetable mixture over the sauce and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake until the meat is browned and the cheese has melted, about 30 minutes. Drain off any fat. Cut into wedges and serve.
Per serving :
8 g Fat;
3 g Sat;
2 g Mono;
53 mg Cholesterol;
11 g Carbohydrates;
20 g Protein;
2 g Fiber;
471 mg Sodium;
414 mg Potassium
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 21/2 lean meat
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Use a perforated pizza pan so excess fat drips away.