SPECIAL OFFER - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
Infusing this simple custard sauce with a vanilla bean adds rich flavor. Try it on your favorite summer shortcake or fruit pie.
Active Time: 30 minutes |
Total Time: 3 hours
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise (see Substitution Tip)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Bring milk and vanilla bean almost to a simmer in a small heavy saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat, cover and let steep for 30 minutes.
- Whisk eggs, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl until well combined.
- Reheat milk over low heat until steaming. Gradually add to egg mixture, whisking constantly. Return mixture to the saucepan.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon, 7 to 8 minutes. Do not let sauce come to a simmer.
- Pour sauce through a fine-mesh sieve into a clean bowl. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean and stir them into sauce. Cover surface with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours.
Per 2-tablespoon serving :
1 g Fat;
0 g Sat;
0 g Mono;
28 mg Cholesterol;
6 g Carbohydrates;
2 g Protein;
0 g Fiber;
34 mg Sodium;
8 mg Potassium
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
Tips & Notes
Substitution Tip: Two teaspoons of pure vanilla extract can replace the vanilla bean; omit Step 1 and add extract at the end of cooking.