SPECIAL OFFER - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
Turkish Red Pepper Spread
The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
Enriched with walnuts and olive oil, a jar of roasted peppers quickly turns into muhammara, a spread from southeast Turkey. Serve on Toasted Pita Crisps or crisp sesame crackers
About 3/4 cup
Active Time: 15 minutes |
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, rinsed
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, or to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Toast walnuts in a small dry skillet over medium heat, stirring, until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and let cool.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Adjust seasoning with more lemon juice and salt, if desired.
Per tablespoon :
3 g Fat;
0 g Sat;
1 g Mono;
0 mg Cholesterol;
4 g Carbohydrates;
1 g Protein;
1 g Fiber;
115 mg Sodium;
14 mg Potassium
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
Tips & Notes
Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.