SPECIAL OFFER - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
Black Bean & Tomato Salsa
The EatingWell Diabetes Cookbook (2005)
Adding canned beans to a spicy salsa is an easy way to boost fiber and improve nutritional value. This salsa is also a good accompaniment for burgers or Scrambled Egg Burritos.
4 servings, 1/2 cup each
Active Time: 10 minutes |
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup seeded, diced plum tomatoes, (3-4 tomatoes)
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, or parsley
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2-1 teaspoon minced canned chipotle in adobo sauce, (see Ingredient Note)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl; stir to blend. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Per serving :
2 g Fat;
0 g Sat;
1 g Mono;
0 mg Cholesterol;
11 g Carbohydrates;
4 g Protein;
4 g Fiber;
283 mg Sodium;
118 mg Potassium
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Ingredient Note: Chipotle peppers are smoked jalapenos with a fiery taste that are canned in adobo sauce. Look for them in the Hispanic section of large supermarkets and in specialty stores.