Swedish Yellow Split Pea Soup with Ham
This yellow split pea soup has fresh ginger to give it a bright flavor. Use the best ham you can find to get the most flavor.
8 servings, about 1 1/2 cups each
Active Time: 25 minutes |
Total Time: Slow-cooker time: 5-8 hours
- 3 cups yellow split peas (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 8 ounces ham, trimmed and diced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place split peas in a medium bowl. Wash with cold water until the water runs clear; drain and spread in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Add broth, water, onion, carrot, celery, ham, ginger and marjoram to the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook for 5 hours on High or 7 to 8 hours on Low. Season with pepper.
Per serving :
3 g Fat;
1 g Sat;
1 g Mono;
16 mg Cholesterol;
51 g Carbohydrates;
28 g Protein;
20 g Fiber;
691 mg Sodium;
1065 mg Potassium
Cover and cook for 5 hours on High or 7 to 8 hours on Low. Season with pepper. Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prep carrots, celery, ginger and dice ham; refrigerate in separate containers. Equipment: 5- to 6-quart slow cooker