SPECIAL OFFER - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
Spanish Tapas-Inspired Mussels
EatingWell Serves Two
When you think “mussels” you may not instantly think “chickpeas,” but the two are joined in tasteful union in this delicious, bistro-style dish. You'll want some crusty bread to sop up the sauce.
Active Time: 35 minutes |
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 8-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed (3/4 cup)
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 4-ounce jar chopped pimientos, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of saffron
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded (see Tip)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add chickpeas, tomatoes, onion, garlic and pimentos. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in oregano, pepper and saffron. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Pour in broth and sherry, stirring to scrape up any browned bits. Bring to a simmer.
- Add mussels and stir to combine. Return to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until the mussels open, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir; discard any unopened mussels before serving.
Per serving :
10 g Fat;
2 g Sat;
5 g Mono;
48 mg Cholesterol;
39 g Carbohydrates;
27 g Protein;
7 g Fiber;
619 mg Sodium;
729 mg Potassium
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 4 lean meat
Tips & Notes
Tip: To debeard a mussel, hold the mussel in one hand. Firmly pull out the black fibrous "beard" from the shell.