The EatingWell Diabetes Cookbook (2005)
We've lightened this popular potluck classic with a dressing of reduced-fat mayo and yogurt. To speed preparation, use shredded broccoli slaw from the produce aisle.
8 servings, 3/4 cup each
Active Time: 15-25 minutes |
Total Time: 15-25 minutes
- 4 slices turkey bacon
- 1 12- to 16-ounce bag shredded broccoli slaw, or 1 large bunch broccoli (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup low-fat or nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 8-ounce can low-sodium sliced water chestnuts, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion, (1/2 medium)
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, turning frequently, until crisp, 5 to 8 minutes. (Alternatively, microwave on High for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes.) Drain bacon on paper towels. Chop coarsely.
- If using whole broccoli, trim about 3 inches off the stems. Chop the rest into 1/4-inch pieces.
- Whisk yogurt, mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add water chestnuts, onion, bacon and broccoli; toss to coat. Chill until serving time.
Per serving :
3 g Fat;
1 g Sat;
1 g Mono;
5 mg Cholesterol;
9 g Carbohydrates;
3 g Protein;
3 g Fiber;
271 mg Sodium;
181 mg Potassium
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and chill for up to 2 days.