SPECIAL OFFER - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
Peach-Blackberry Compote with Basil Syrup
The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
Fresh basil, which has a special affinity with peaches, is the secret ingredient in this sophisticated compote. The basil garnish gives guests a clue to the subtle flavor in the syrup.
4 servings, 1 cup each
Active Time: 20 minutes |
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons dry white wine
- 3 sprigs fresh basil, plus more for garnish
- 2 2-1/2-inch strips orange zest
- 3 cups sliced peeled peaches, (3-4 medium) (see Tip)
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Combine sugar and wine in small saucepan; bring to a simmer. Remove from heat. Add 3 basil sprigs and orange zest; stir to immerse. Cover and let steep for 30 minutes.
- Strain syrup into a small bowl, pressing on basil and zest to release maximum flavor.
- Shortly before serving, combine peaches, blackberries, lemon juice and basil-infused syrup in a serving bowl; toss gently to coat. Serve garnished with basil sprigs.
Per serving :
0 g Fat;
0 g Sat;
0 g Mono;
0 mg Cholesterol;
30 g Carbohydrates;
2 g Protein;
4 g Fiber;
1 mg Sodium;
337 mg Potassium
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 fruit
Tips & Notes
Tip: To peel peaches, dip in boiling water for 30 or 40 seconds to loosen their skins. Let cool slightly, then slip off skins with a paring knife.