By Michelle Edelbaum , August 13, 2010 - 11:05am
I’m a snacker, especially at work. When my mind is working hard, my stomach inevitably starts grumbling. While snacking can help me get in all the nutrients I need and curb my hunger so that I don’t eat too much at the next meal, I’m careful not to engage in too much mindless munching so I don’t end up eating too many calories over the course of a day.
Related Link: 10 tricks to keep your calories in check at snack time 
When I do need a snack, I want to make sure I have something healthy on hand so I don’t end up reaching for junk. The other EatingWell editors and I came up with the following list of healthy snacks you can keep in your desk.
Related Link: Light Bites: 100-Calorie Snack Ideas 
• Whole-wheat crispbreads (3 or more grams of fiber/serving)
• 3-ounce pouches of water-packed tuna or salmon
• Can of sardines, packed in water or olive oil
• Natural peanut or other nut butter
• Single-serving packets of trail mix
• “Single-serving” fresh fruits: apples, oranges, pears, bananas, kiwis
• Dried fruit, such as apricots, raisins and cherries
• 1-ounce bags of peanuts, almonds or pistachios
• Small (8-ounce) cans of low-sodium mixed vegetable juice
• Single-serving boxes of whole-grain cereals with no added sugars
• Mini rice cakes
• Single serving pouches of low-fat mayonnaise
• Individually-wrapped bite-size dark chocolate
Once you’re stocked up, you can put these combos together for a satisfying snack:
Related Link: Snacks with Substance for 250 calories or less 
Mini rice cakes + natural peanut butter + banana 
Mini Rice-Cake Stack: Sandwich natural peanut butter and a slice of banana between two mini apple-cinnamon rice cakes. Makes 1 serving. Per serving: 297 calories; 13 g fat (2 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrate; 8 g protein; 4 g fiber; 91 mg sodium; 293 mg potassium.
Can of sardines + whole-wheat crispbreads 
Sardines on Crackers: Top a whole-grain Scandinavian-style cracker (Wasa, Ry Krisp, Ryvita, Kavli) with 2 to 3 canned sardines, preferably packed in olive oil. Finish with a squeeze of lemon. Per cracker: 64 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrate; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 94 mg sodium; 102 mg potassium.
Pistachios + dried cherries 
Pistachios & Cherries: Combine equal parts dried cherries or cranberries with shelled pistachios. Per 1 ounce: 106 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrate; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 0 mg sodium; 293 mg potassium.
What healthy snacks do you keep in your drawer that you would add to the list? Tell us what you think below.