5 healthy after-school snacks they’ll rush home for
When I was a kid, my mom would always have a snack waiting for me when I got home from school. Cheese, whole-grain crackers and fruit were a staple, but sometimes she’d be inspired and serve my sister and me something fun, like Chocolate Crunch , a chocolate-covered version of her homemade cereal mix. As vividly as I remember the food, I also remember talking to her about my day. Seems like such a simple pleasure, but it meant so much. Here’s a week’s worth of healthy after-school snack ideas to nibble and chat with your kids over.
1. Chocolate Crunch: Crunchy wheat cereal, pretzels and almonds coated in bittersweet chocolate makes an addictive sweet-salty snack.
2. Cheesy Popcorn: Freshly grated Parmesan cheese and a sprinkle of cayenne pepper dress up air-popped popcorn.
3. Cocoa-Nut Bananas: One of EatingWell’s most popular recipes, cocoa- and coconut-crusted bananas are a treat for moms and kids.
4. Cottage Cheese Veggie Dip: Veggies and dip were another one of my mom’s standbys. This is much healthier than ranch dressing from a bottle, is ready in less than a minute and goes well with carrots and snow peas.
5. No-Bake Cookies: Cookies and milk were one of my favorite snacks (who doesn’t love ’em?). Your kids will enjoy helping you make these peanut butter-graham treats, which take just 10 minutes from start to finish.
What are your kids' favorite healthy after-school snacks? Tell us what you think below.
Michelle Edelbaum , Food Blog , Family meals , Healthy kids , Snacks
Michelle is the digital director for EatingWell. She puts her background in journalism to work at EatingWell.com to help deliver daily inspiration for eating healthy.
Tell us what you think: