Healthier bones mean healthier bodies, and keeping your bones healthy means calcium, calcium, calcium. It works this way: 99% of your calcium is stored in bones and teeth, the other 1% circulates in the body, helping important functions like muscle contractions and blood clotting. If your diet is low in calcium, your body draws the mineral from your bones, which, over time, can make them brittle. Our delicious recipes are carefully selected because they offer at least 15% of the recommended daily value for—you guessed it!—calcium.
Don’t forget vitamin D, which helps the body absorb calcium, and which comes from fortified dairy products, egg yolks, salmon, tuna and other foods. Research suggests that fruits and vegetables rich in potassium, magnesium and vitamin K may also be important for healthy bones. Weight-bearing exercise helps, as does keeping your sodium intake in check and maintaining a healthy weight. (It turns out you can be too thin; dipping into an “underweight” category disrupts hormones critical to bone health.) And here’s a news flash: among the reasons smoking is bad for you, it reduces calcium absorption and bone mass.