Rich, creamy beef stroganoff goes healthy
I’m bonkers for all the mushrooms, beef and creamy sauce in beef stroganoff. I could just bathe myself in it. OK…maybe not bathe. But how about bathe a bunch of egg noodles in the luscious sauce and then chow it down! That sounds like a serious comfort-food dinner to me and one that’s an easy crowd pleaser. Plus our recipe only takes 40 minutes start to finish.
Get the recipe: Beef & Portobello Mushroom Stroganoff
Our secrets to keeping it light are:
• We use flank steak, which is a relatively lean cut of beef.
• We make sauce with beef broth thickened with a little flour.
• Instead of heavy cream in the sauce, we just stir in a little reduced-fat sour cream at the end.
• The sauce is rich-tasting from a touch of cognac and plenty of portobello mushrooms.
• Serve over whole-wheat egg noodles, which have the added benefit of fiber.
Here are two more of my favorite comfort-food recipes starring beef:
Creamy Hamburger Noodle Casserole
Chicken-Fried Steak & Gravy
What are your favorite comfort foods with beef? Tell us what you think below.
Jessie Price , Healthy Cooking Blog
Jessie Price is the editor-in-chief of EatingWell magazine. Besides her work on 11 other EatingWell books, she is the author of the James Beard Award-winning The Simple Art of EatingWell and EatingWell One-Pot Meals. She lives in Charlotte, Vermont where she stays busy growing her own vegetables in the summer and tracking down great Vermont food products when she’s not working.
Tell us what you think: