Week #3: Boost Exercise
No matter where you are now, you can become "an exercise person."
"I have been able to wake up earlier and get in my full hour of exercise in the morning for more than a month now. This is usually a run (outside if weather permits) or a warm up cardio plus weights. My trick is to sleep in my workout...
EatingWell Diet Challenge
Week #1: Are You Ready for a Change?
Week #2: Set Goals
Week #3: Boost Exercise
Week #4: Make Smart Choices
Week #5: Outsmarting Eating Triggers
Week #6: Get support
Week #7: Recharge Your Weight Loss
Week #8: Embrace Challenges
Week #9: Solve Problems
Week #10: Think Big Picture
Week #11: Be Nice to Yourself
Week #12: Celebrate Success
Any “self-respecting” weight-loss plan has an exercise component. You don’t have to run a marathon to shed pounds; setting a goal to burn 1,000 calories per week through aerobic activities, such as brisk walking or jogging, cycling or rowing, will probably do you just fine. Don’t worry if you’re more of a turtle than a hare: It makes no difference whether you run two miles in 16 minutes or walk them in a half hour. Assume that you burn about 100 calories for each mile you walk or run: to hit 1,000 calories, you’ll need to put in two miles a day, five days a week. (If you’re cycling, estimate 100 calories for every three miles you ride.) Enhance your caloric burn by doing everyday things the “hard way”—take the stairs instead of the elevator, for example.
9 ways to get more exercise:
- #1 way to burn more calories
- Easy ideas for building an exercise routine
- Exercise basics
- 5 ways to walk more
- 6 easy ways to sneak more exercise into your day & more exercise tips
- Can your pet help you shed pounds?
- 4 exercise strategies for travelers
- Can exercise override bad genes?
- 3 reasons to walk (or run) for your life
Tips and tools to help you this week:
Photo Caption: Mark Catalana hops on his Concept2 rower whenever he has a half hour free.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)