Learn how nine readers lost weight on the EatingWell Diet and how you can too.
"Sounds good hope it works for diabetics "
Step #5: Move More
“Calories in” is only one half of the weight-loss equation. Exercise is equally important. We recommended that, each week, our dieters set a goal to burn 1,000 calories through “programmed” aerobic exercise—such as brisk walking or jogging, cycling or rowing. In addition, we also suggested that they amp up activity in their everyday routines—taking the stairs instead of the elevator, for example.
When it comes to burning calories, what matters most is going the distance. It makes no difference whether you run two miles in 16 minutes or walk them in a half hour. You can assume that you burn about 100 calories for each mile you walk or run—which means that our participants were aiming to put in two miles a day, five days a week. (For cycling, estimate 100 calories for every three miles you ride.) Of course, indoor exercise equipment, such as treadmills, elliptical trainers and rowers, can help track calories for you. Models that ask you to enter your weight are the most accurate but even these machines are only estimating your calorie burn, as everyone’s metabolism is different.
It’s important to keep your “calories in” (eating) and “calories out” (exercise) goals totally separate. Using longer workouts to “buy” brownies will sabotage your success because most people tend to underestimate the calories they consume and overestimate the calories they burn through exercise. Consider this: You can polish off two cookies in just a few minutes but you’d have to run or walk four miles to burn off the 400 calories they contained.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- What Does a 1,500-Calorie Diet Look Like? (85 comments)
- EatingWell 28 Day Meal Plan Help (50 comments)
- EatingWell 7-Day Meal Plan Help (32 comments)
- Week #1: Are You Ready for a Change? (30 comments)
- Bottled Water vs. Tap (29 comments)
- EatingWell Magazine Digital Subscriptions or Single Issue Copies (28 comments)
- 3 Antidotes to Overeating (24 comments)
- The Wild Salmon Debate (21 comments)
- 7 Steps to Permanent Weight Loss (20 comments)
- Boost Fiber to Slim Down (18 comments)