Here are some proven strategies to get you moving.
Overcoming Exercise Excuses
What’s stopping you? Everyone has reasons why they can't start. The EatingWell Diet can help you correct those reasons and get started now. It's never too late! Here are our tips for overcoming exercise excuses:
"I don't have enough time."
- Break exercise into smaller segments.
- Multitask—do crunches while watching TV.
- Adjust your schedule—say, get up a half-hour earlier to walk.
- Make it nonnegotiable routine. Block off an inviolate time each day for exercise, so you (and friends and colleagues) can plan around it.
"I'm too embarrassed to exercise."
- Bring a friend along for moral support. Walk in a neighborhood where you’re not likely to run into anyone you know.
- Work out at home with an exercise or dance DVD.
- Try a gym that feels comfortable and friendly. Most welcome all sizes and fitness levels.
"Exercise is too hard."
- Take it slow and steady. Start with a comfortable amount of activity and add a little more each day.
- Listen to your body. Don’t exercise to the point of exhaustion; you should always be able to carry on a conversation.
- Keep going. If you’ve got minor aches, take it easier the next day but don’t stop altogether. Gentle movement helps sore muscles recover.
"Exercise doesn't work for me"
- Correction. You just haven’t found the right kind of exercise yet. Focus on adding more lifestyle exercise to your day
- Use your diary to record your thoughts and feelings around exercise—they can help you find a way around your exercise demons.