Boost Your Metabolism and Burn Fat by Adding Probiotic Yogurt to Your Diet
Can a daily dose of yogurt help you burn fat? New research shows probiotics can boost your metabolism.
Boost your metabolism and burn fat with a daily dose of yogurt? It may be possible, says new research published in October 2012 by the Journal of Functional Foods. Researchers gave overweight, but otherwise healthy, adults about 1/2 cup of yogurt at dinner every night for six weeks. Some ate yogurt supplemented with a hefty dose of probiotics (either Lactobacillus fermentum or L. amylovorus), while others got regular yogurt, which is simply fermented with probiotics. Though none of the subjects lost weight, those consuming the probiotic-enriched yogurt lost 3 to 4 percent body fat, compared to just 1 percent body fat lost with yogurt.
Probiotics boost the beneficial bacteria in the GI tract, which researchers believe may promote fat burning. One caveat: the two strains of probiotics used in the study aren’t widely available or found in conventional supermarket yogurts—and more research is needed to know if other strains are equally as beneficial. To ensure your yogurt delivers a decent amount of probiotics, look for one that carries the “Live & Active Cultures” seal (that means it contains about the same amount of probiotics that had fat-burning benefits).
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)