Should I Take a Calcium Supplement?
New research on menopause and calcium supplements.
Calcium-Rich Recipes to Try
Calcium-Rich Milk Recipes
Calcium-Rich Recipes with Yogurt
Ice Cream and Frozen Dessert Recipes That Are Calcium-Rich
Many women are advised to take a calcium supplement for healthy bones—especially after menopause (when decreasing estrogen levels accelerate bone loss). In fact, the majority of American women over 31 take calcium supplements, says a 2010 study in The Journal of Nutrition.
But new research, published online in the British Medical Journal, might have you second-guessing a supplement. Scientists reported that postmenopausal women who took calcium supplements increased their risk of heart attack by 25 to 30 percent and stroke by 15 to 20 percent.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)