New List of Prescription Drug & Medication Interactions with Grapefruit and Grapefruit Juice
Steer clear of drug interactions with grapefruit by checking the list of additional medications that raise interaction risk.
"the list is not complete as it excludes the statins and drugs on the initial page, not a good thing, as people will think the 4-page list is complete. "
Our Top 15 Heart-Healthy Foods
Heart-Healthy Diet Quick Tips
Tips to Lower Blood Pressure, Lower High Cholesterol and Reduce Your Risk of Heart Disease
Improve Cholesterol Levels with These 7 Super Foods
A juicy grapefruit is both refreshing and healthy, but if you’re taking certain prescription medications, think twice before digging into one. A new study in the Canadian Medical Association Journal reveals 43-plus drugs are risky when taken within 72 hours of eating grapefruit or drinking grapefruit juice—causing reactions ranging from fainting to sudden death. Previously, only 17 medications were flagged.
The most commonly prescribed drugs that interact with grapefruit are cholesterol-lowering atorvastatin and simvastatin (Lipitor, Zocor); quetiapine (Seroquel) for bipolar disorder and nifedipine (Procardia) for angina. New additions include solifenacin and tamsulosin (VESIcare, Flomax) for urinary issues and eplerenone (Inspra) for hypertension. Normally, an enzyme in the small intestine regulates how much of the drug is absorbed. Grapefruit, however, contains a compound that inhibits the enzyme so more of the drug gets absorbed. For a full list of medications that interact with grapefruit, click here. Always ask your physician and pharmacist about any possible interactions.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)