How Whey Protein Can Help You Get Lean
New research shows that whey protein can give you an extra edge if you’re trying to lose weight.
More Information on Protein & Protein-Packed Recipes to Try
Can I Get Enough Protein If I Eat a Vegetarian Diet?
Protein-Packed Breakfast Recipes
Protein-Packed Lunch Recipes
Protein-Packed Dinner Recipes
Can a little whey help you weigh less? Protein is great for dieters—compared to carbohydrates and fat, it keeps you feeling fuller longer. Now new research published in the Journal of Nutrition shows that the protein in dairy may give you an extra edge if you’re looking to get leaner.
When researchers fed two groups of mice a high-fat diet for 11 weeks, the mice that got water spiked with whey protein (a type of protein found naturally in dairy) packed on 42 percent less weight and nearly a third less body fat than the mice who just drank plain water, despite the fact that they ate roughly the same number of calories. What’s more, the whey eaters also gained 7 percent more lean body mass.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)