Four top athletes share their winning secrets to healthy eating.
Apolo Anton Ohno
Apolo Anton Ohno, 26, has been the reigning U.S. short track speedskating champion since 2001 and has won the U.S. men’s title nine times. In 2007, Ohno gained a whole new fan base when he and dance partner Julianne Hough won season four of the hit ABC series Dancing with the Stars. Ohno’s stamina shows no signs of waning: he plans to compete in his third Olympics at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, Canada.
Q: Describe your typical day of training.
A: In the morning, I train on the ice from 7:00 to 11:30. Then from 3:00 to 6:00 in the evening, I lift weights, run and bike sprints, and do technique training on dry land (performing exercises that use the same muscles required to skate).
Q: How many calories would you say you consume in a day?
A: It all depends on my activity level. I’ve never really counted calories because when I’m in tune with my nutrition, I can feel when I need to add more grams of fat, protein or carbohydrates.
Q: If you need a quick bite, what do you reach for first?
A: An apple and salmon sticks (like beef jerky but made with salmon).
Q: Favorite snacks?
A: My “bad” snacks are multicolored Swedish fish and peanut M&Ms. “Good” snacks are fruits and veggies.
Q: How has good nutrition made a difference for you?
A: I’m constantly working hard to improve my nutrition knowledge and it’s brought out abs and definition in my body that I’ve never seen before. I feel more energetic and healthy, and my mind is clear.
Q: Overall eating mantra?
A: “Not an almond more, not an almond less.” I’m hardcore about nutrition when it’s time to compete. My body needs to be clean—a well-oiled machine works best with top-grade fuel.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)