Easy tips for a better Omega-3 to Omega-6 ratio.
"What if Alaskan wild salmon isn't available? Aren't there other options to balancing out the omega 3 and 6 ratio? This article doesn't seem very helpful. "
Though our ancestors evolved on about equal amounts of omega-3 and omega-6 fats, Americans today get 10 to 25 times more omega-6s than omega-3s. This matters for mental health, says Joe Hibbeln, M.D., Acting Chief, Section on Nutritional Neurosciences at the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, because omega-3s alter brain chemicals linked with mood; they also regulate more than 100 genes involved in transmitting messages between brain cells.
Finally, omega-3s soothe the inflammation known to play a role in conditions ranging from heart disease to dementia, while omega-6 fats transform into molecules that increase inflammation. Bring yourself back into “omega balance.” Here are tips to help you do just that.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)