What does it do?
Vitamin B6 is a water-soluble B vitamin that plays a significant role in helping make amino acids that build body cells, including muscles. Vitamin B6 also helps produce red blood cells, infection-fighting antibodies and insulin (a hormone that uses glucose, synthesizes protein and stores fat).
What are the best food sources?
Rich food sources of vitamin B6 include chicken, fish, whole grains, beans, fortified cereals and nuts. Some soy-based meat substitutes are fortified with vitamin B6.
What are some recipes that are good sources of vitamin B6?
- Banana-Kiwi Salad
- Bulgur with Ginger & Orange
- Grilled Chicken with Chipotle-Orange Glaze
- Mozzarella-Stuffed Turkey Burgers
- Oven Fries for Two
- Roasted Bananas with Chocolate Yogurt Cream
- Roasted Halibut with Banana-Orange Relish
- Turkey Albondigas Soup
- Turkey Mushroom Loaves
- Warm Snow Pea & Chicken Salad
What happens if you don’t get enough?
Vitamin B6 deficiency, while rare, can occur in people consuming poor-quality diets. Symptoms typically don’t occur until the later stages of deficiency. Signs of deficiency can include skin rashes, depression, nausea, convulsions and confusion.
What happens if you get too much?
No adverse effects have been associated with high intakes of vitamin B6 from foods. Very large doses of supplemental vitamin B6 (in the form of pyridoxine) have been associated with painful nerve damage in the extremities (e.g., fingers, toes).
How much do you need?
The following table lists the recommended intake for healthy people based on current scientific information.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)