Helpful Tips for Common Digestive Problems
Help for common digestive problems, from lactose intolerance to irritable bowl syndrome.
"It’s interesting how many of the illnesses we may experience are related to our digestive system. A lot of it is due to the things we eat, especially processed foods that contain a lot of harmful chemicals and preservatives that...
IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Symptoms include abdominal pain, erratic bowel activity (frequent constipation or diarrhea), bloating, nausea and cramping. The cause of IBS isn’t known. You’ll want to avoid trigger foods—dairy foods* and alcohol are two common ones. It may also help to take a fiber supplement or other therapy to treat diarrhea.
*Note: Talk with your healthcare provider about other possible causes for your discomfort (e.g., lactose intolerance) before eliminating dairy products—which are good sources of calcium and protein—from your diet.Next: Hemorrhoids »
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- What Does a 1,500-Calorie Diet Look Like? (85 comments)
- EatingWell 28 Day Meal Plan Help (50 comments)
- EatingWell 7-Day Meal Plan Help (32 comments)
- Week #1: Are You Ready for a Change? (30 comments)
- Bottled Water vs. Tap (29 comments)
- EatingWell Magazine Digital Subscriptions or Single Issue Copies (28 comments)
- 3 Antidotes to Overeating (24 comments)
- The Wild Salmon Debate (21 comments)
- 7 Steps to Permanent Weight Loss (20 comments)
- Boost Fiber to Slim Down (18 comments)